Originally named Apostolic United Pentecostal Church – the congregation was founded by Rev. George McAdams, a retired Navy man from Minden, LA who felt a call of God to return and plant a home missions church in this city where he had served in with the military. The church was formed as a new “Home Missions” work in the late fall of 1983. Brother McAdams pastored the work for about 3.5 years and led the beginning congregation to purchase it’s first building, a small community center facility at 1575 Kerrey Ave in the Fox Hall section of the city. The Lord then called Brother McAdams in 1987 to another pastoral work back toward his home in the southern part of the country.

God then called Michael G. Blankenship off the evangelistic field to take the pastoral lead of this fledgling work. He and his wife Lori held thier first service on Wednesday night (Bible study) September 15, 1987. At that time there were 12 adult members and about 30 in Sunday School attending faithfully. Since then, God has blessed the church with steady & consistant growth each year to spite the extremley transient nature of Norfolk. (30% of the metro area tends to relocate about every 3-4 years on average) Nevertheless, God has brought us to where we are today with a congregation numbering 350-400 in attendance. (We also have an extended church family of alumni who have been a part of NAC over the years sprinkled all around the world)

Image module

After experiencing continued growth, we totally renovated the interior of this facility in 2006 and added 90 seats to our auditorium. We then added a newly enlarged parking lot in 2007 and continue to share parking when needed with our Knight’s of Columbus neighbors.

1st Location: 1575 Kerrey Ave (2,200 sf community center) 1985-1993

2nd Location: 16th Bay Street (We rented an old laundry mat building in East Ocean View for 2 years) – 1992-1993

3rd Location: 138 Lucas Ave. (We renovated a 5,400 sf church facility in the Glenrock section that became home for 4 years) – 1994-1997

4th & Present Location: 3131 Azalea Garden Road (We began services thanksgiving week of 1997 after purchasing and renovating the Moose Lodge building which we dedicated unto the service of the Lord in January of 1998. It was at this time the church changed its official name to NORFOLK APOSTOLIC CHURCH.

ANNEX ADDITION: In 2005 the church added the purchase of the old girls club down the street at 3172 Azalea Garden Rd and renovated it into our new 7,400 sf FAMILY LIFE CENTER ANNEX complete with a Jr. high gym and youth center facilities. (The day care center next door was purchased but under a lease)

In the summer of 2011 we took possession of the 3,700 sf day care facility at 3166 Azalea Garden Rd and renovated it and dedicated it as our CHILDREN’S MINISTRY CENTER. Then in September we opened the FISHERMAN’S NET LEARNING CENTER which is a preschool and kindergarten with before and after care provided for kids age 2.5-11. The center currently ministers to many inner city kids and employs 10 full time and part time staff.

We thank God for where He has brought us – but more importantly… we are excited about where He is taking us!

Norfolk Apostolic Church